E cigarettes and vaping in general has come under scrutiny in the press a lot recently with reports of addiction, health risks and many other unsupported allegations. That said however, reports of batteries exploding on users are often correct.
With any electrical product that uses a lithium ion battery, they are all susceptible to the batteries exploding, and e cigarettes are no different. Unfortunately, this has put many people off using electronic cigarettes, but so far every case that we have come across of exploding batteries has been avoidable.
If you follow the correct safety procedures, e cigarette battery explosions are rare, about 1 in 10 million.
Consequently, we have put together some simple do’s and don’ts when it comes to charging e cigarette battery safety.
- Use the correct charging equipment as recommended by your supplier.
- Buy from a reputable company.
- Charge batteries on hard surfaces e.g. kitchen worktop.
- Turn your battery off when not in use.
- Clean your battery and terminal contents with tissue or alcohol wipes when dirty or sticky.
- Over tighten the battery when attaching to your atomiser.
- Use damaged or extremely old batteries.
- Expose the battery to extreme heat, cold or direct sunlight.
- Leave charging batteries unattended.
- Allow direct contact between your battery and water.
These points may seem simple, but you wont believe how many of them people don’t follow when charging their e cigarette batteries. If you’re new to vaping you may also find our electronic cigarette user guide or how to choose an e liquid blogs useful.